Medical PG Entrance: Coaching Classes, Apps & Online Learning
When do you start your medical PG entrance exam preparations in India and how?
Most medical students think about medical PG entrance exam preparations in India near to their internship or when they are house surgeons. Is this actually the right attitude to learning? Think about the competition. 150,000 or more doctors preparing for exams and you have to find a rank in the first 1500 or so to have a seat of your choice. That is only 1 in every 100 Indian doctor have a good chance of finding the specialities of their choice.
When to start attending coaching classes for Medical PG entrance exam preparations in India?
To completely cover 19 subjects is not possible in 5 years. Hence you need to manage your expectations in the first place. Attending ANY REGULAR MEDICAL PG ENTRANCE COACHING is highly recommended. This will prevent topics piling up towards the end. A good coaching programme should not have more than 100-400 students. It is good to know where you stand if there are mock exams. These could be like weekend courses. It is best to start attending the courses as students.
There are drawbacks. Good medical PG entrance courses are like regional lottery in India, only a few centres have this facility. Courses are often costly and they do take your weekends away! Some drop out after a few lectures. It is still one of my top recommendations.
Why is there a change in trend in India towards online Medical PG Entrance learning?
In the last two years there has been an exponential increase in medical students and Indian medical PG entrance aspirants resorting to learning online. Candidates are moving away from forum participation towards structured medical PG learning portals. The reasons are simple, it fills the existing gaps.
- Online courses can be accessed 24/7. It provides amazing flexibility if you are a working doctor, pregnant or other personal circumstances.
- Online courses offer mock tests conducted 24/7 with rank lists published. One good example is Gate To Medicine Mock Tests
- Online courses are cheaper and affordable. There are packages available with more than 15,000 questions from Rs 2900. Here is an example link – click here.
- It offers statistics, smart learning like Item Response & Allocation and amazing ability to filter subjects, keywords, topics and save your study.
- There are cheaper courses for medical students. Click here for example.
- Most exams are conducted online and the actual exam platform is very similar.
There are drawbacks for online learning too. Most doctors have access to broadband internet. There are a few who do not. Some medical student hostels in India do not provide Wi Fi. This situation has to change and there should be more awareness about the opportunities.
How to make use of MOBILE and TABLET APPS for Medical PG Entrance exam preparation in India?
Heard of cloud learning? This is not as complicated as you think. All your study materials are stored in a central dedicated server. This is accessible via a range of devices. The best example for this in India is Gate To Medicine. Examples are given below.G2M SMART for android – Download to your android mobile on Google Play; G2M iSMart for iPhone – Download to your iPhone on iTunes / App Store; G2M iSMart for iPad – Download to your iPad on iTunes / App Store; G2M on Website – www.gatetomedicine.com Advantages of mobile apps and website connected to a dedicated cloud server for Medical PG preparation in India:
- Your resources available 24/7 in your pocket
- Mock tests in your pocket. Never miss one exam e.g. if you are on a labour room posting
- Results synchronised to the website
- Powerful dedicated server that doesn’t go slow with 1000s attempting exams at the same time
- All you need is a 3G connection or Wi Fi. It is good to invest in this as it is a cheap and effective form of study.
Overall there is an exponential increase in learning opportunities for medical PG entrance examination in India, which is in line with what is available in the US and UK. A combination of lectures and online learning is highly recommended for success in today’s online medical PG entrance examinations.